The Writers Who Run 5k Race For Literacy takes place in the famous Appalachian Mountains. It is mostly flat, with a few hills.
The course is well-marked with mile marker signs and directional signs to keep you on the right track. This is a fast and friendly course, making this race a great choice for those new to running or racing, and also perfect for walkers.
Start and finish lines are both at the Nanci Weldon Memorial Open Air Gym on Weldon Way.
Parking is available at the Welcome Center at 91 N. Lakeshore Dr. and anywhere else you can find a legal parking spot. Please do not park in the grass. If there is no parking left at the Welcome Center, you may have to walk up to half a mile to get to the race starting line.
ONE water station will be located on the course at about mile 1.5. Shortly after you cross the dam, you will see a white gazebo near the duck feeding statue with water.
Average temperatures for June: LOW 62, HIGH 81.
Elevation is 2,715 feet above sea level. The course is mostly flat, with a few short hills.
5k Course Map and Elevation Map
History of the Writers Who Run 5k & 10k Race For Literacy
- In 2016 and 2017, this was a 10k trail race.
- The 2018 course was moved to the base of the Fontana Dam to accommodate the inclusion of a 5k race option and to lessen the risk of wildlife encounters.
- The 2019 course was moved across state lines from NC to Dillard, GA.
- The race did not happen in 2020, 2021, or 2022.
- In 2023, we moved it back to NC as we finally discovered the beautiful Lake Junaluska and discontinued the 10k race distance.
- You can see race pics here!
Feel free to wear literary costumes!